WARNING: THIS STUFF IS RICH.
I mean, really rich. And it takes a lot for me to say something is “rich”. Of course, what else could you expect from something out of the Momofuku recipe collection?
WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
Don’t believe me? Ingredients include: A stick of butter. A package of cream cheese. Oh, and pound of powdered sugar. No big deal.
Gooey Butter Cake Squares – Makes 64 1-inch squares
[ Printable Recipe ]
For the base:
- 1 pound yellow cake mix (usually one box)
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg
For the gooey butter topping:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extractPreheat the oven to 350°F.
1. Make the base by mixing together the dry cake mix, butter and 1 egg. Pat it into a parchment-lined 8-by-8-inch pan.
2. Make the gooey butter topping by creaming together the cream cheese, remaining 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla. Pour it over the base cake mixture, spreading all the way to the edges. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden brown, and the center still tender, but cooked. (think: cheesecake)
3. Allow to cool completely in pan. Turn out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch-squares.
* For easier slicing, place in the freezer until firm, cut while cold, and transfer to mini-muffin papers.
*It is also helpful to have a warm, damp, clean rag to wipe your knife on in between slicing.
[ recipe courtesy of Momofuku Milk Bar ]
You may also like…