These brownies were baked on Saturday night, while enjoying jellybean cocktails and watching reality TV. Chocolate, alcohol, and trashy TV… I can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday night. Can you?
Layers of chewy brownies, chopped Reese’s and a crunchy chocolate/crisp rice cereal mixture make these positively divine. Be sure to cut these into tiny squares, not only because they’re rich but so that when you share, you only have to share a little bit (and you can hoard the rest for yourself).
The recipe called for peanuts as well, but I don’t like nuts in my baked goods (generally speaking) so I left them out. Feel free to use them if you like. I might have added more Reese’s to the peanut butter cup layer, but that’s up to you. If you want a thicker brownie layer, go ahead and double the batch of brownies (I had a hard time spreading mine to take up the whole pan).
Crunchy, chewy, sweet, and salty – these brownies have it all.
[ Printable Recipe ]
- 1 batch brownies (boxed mix or your favorite recipe)
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups Crisp Rice Cereal
1. Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.
2. When they are finished baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Pour cereal mixture evenly over brownies.
3. Chill two hours to firm up before cutting.
[ Adapted from How Sweet It Is ]
If you like this, you’ll love: