You’ve still got a whole week (plus one day!( til Easter comes and if you haven’t prepared yet, it’s time!
My idea? Adorable Peeps “eggs” – made of chocolate. They are basically the easiest thing in the whole world to make, will take about 30 seconds each (plus drying time), and are too cute not to love. I mean, JUST LOOK AT THEM!
I filled my eggs with peeps and M&Ms, but you could fill them with whatever candy you deemed fit. If you don’t have any Easter candies, feel free to use leftover Valentine’s M&Ms… I’m sure no one will notice…
The process is easy, you blow up a balloon (just a little bit) and tie off the end. Then, you melt some chocolate (I used leftover Chocoley from my chocolate bark)- you will need about 1 oz of chocolate per balloon, depending on the size. Insert balloon into chocolate, twirl to coat, and set on a parchment-lined baking sheet to harden.
You will want to do this twice, if you can, to make the shells sturdier. I only dipped mine once and the shells were a bit more brittle than I’d have liked. But, hindsight is 20/20, am I right?
So, once the second dip has hardened, you pop the balloon, pull it out of the chocolate shell, et voila! Eggs! Then, all that’s left is to put a Peep in it (or two!).
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 6 balloons
- 6 to 12 peeps
- Candy of your choice
- Partially inflate balloons to about the size of a small orange - I inflated mine until it just filled my palm but I don't know how big your hands are... 🙂 Big enough to fit a peep into, that's how big you want it.
- In a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water) gently melt your chocolate, stirring until it is melted.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, dip the balloon into the chocolate, swirling to coat the bottom and sides of the balloon. Lift the balloon out of the chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl, and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet to harden.
- Once all the balloons have been dipped, put the baking sheet in the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes until the chocolate is hardened. Remove the sheet from the fridge, and dip the balloons a second time, returning to the parchment-lined baking sheet to re-harden.
- After the chocolate is completely set, pop the balloon and gently pull the balloon out of the chocolate shell. You may use scissors or a sharp knife to remove any unwanted chocolate stragglers.
- Fill chocolate shells with easter candy and top candy with Peeps.