We’ve finally reached triple digits here and today they even graced us with the courtesy of an “excessive heat warning” as of 10:00 AM. This warning is technically scheduled until 8:00 PM tonight, but we know better than that. This warning will be renewed daily probably until the middle of September. Yay.
Try as I might, I have not been able to successfully devise a way for FH and I to find an alternate summer residence, where we could work remotely from somewhere that does not feel like the surface of the sun.
Until such a day exists (or until the end of the summer) I am likely to crave all things cold and vegetable-laden. Something about it being a million degrees out makes me want to stay inside and eat cold, crunchy veggies all day every day. Enter this salad.
Crisp romaine lettuce, crunchy chickpeas, and creamy pesto parmesan dressing. What more could a girl ask for?
This salad is from Pinch of Yum‘s latest cookbook Everyday Healthy. This e-cookbook is full of quick and healthy recipes and even comes with a nutrition guide (with substitution recommendations) and a meal planning guide.
I modified the recipe a bit by tossing my chickpeas in olive oil before roasting them (I like the crunch it gives them), upping the pesto in the dressing (call me a basil-holic if you will), halving the amount of tomatoes called for (they are not my favorite), and adding cucumbers. Because cucumbers make everything better.
- 1 14-oz can of chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 medium tomatoes, rinsed
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, rinsed
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 3 Tablespoons parsley
- 2 Tablespoons pesto
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400?F. Line baking sheet with parchment. Drain, rinse, and dry chickpeas.
- Toss chickpeas with olive oil and spread on baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until crisp, tossing halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, dice tomatoes, cucumber, and bacon to desired size. Toss together with lettuce and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine sour cream, pesto, parsley, garlic, parmesan and lemon juice until combined. Stream in water one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salad in bowls and top with chickpeas and desired amount of dressing.
* Experiment by tossing your chickpeas with other seasonings like smoked paprika and cumin or even with parmesan cheese.
* Will easily serve 4 as a main salad or 6 as a side salad.
* Add more or less pesto to your taste.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Healthy by Lindsay Olstrom