The simplest recipes are often the best – and this one is no exception. While I make eggs and toast for BF pretty much every weekend, for some reason when he saw pictures of the egg IN the toast he felt jipped . He was so excited about the picture, too, “HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THIS???” “Of course,” I replied, “it’s just egg-in-a-hole”.
He acted as though I had betrayed him by hiding something so amazing from him all these years. How could I possibly know such a thing existed and not made it for him? This was months ago and has been obsessed ever since. I know what you’re thinking, “MONTHS AGO?” I know, shame on me.
Somehow, me telling him that it was “just eggs and toast” didn’t make him feel any better. He
wanted needed these “eggs in a basket”. So every weekend when I would make our eggs and toast, he’d say, very disheartened, “you didn’t put them in the toast” and I would say “I forgot!” and promise to make them next time. Inevitably the next weekend would come and I would forget because I’m a terrible girlfriend, and his eggs would end up next to his toast instead of inside of it.(GASP!)
This weekend, though, I was the one who remembered – and he forgot. Which worked out pretty good, since he was pleasantly surprised and super excited to receive his egg-in-a-hole finally. I even added some chopped bacon since I love him so much. If you like over-easy eggs with toast (or “dippy eggs” as we call them), then this recipe is definitely for you. You can serve the toasted bread cut-out with the “basket” as extra dipping bread, or eat it to reward yourself for all your hard work.
Egg in a Hole (aka Eggs in a Basket)
- 1 piece of bread
- 1 egg
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
1. Spread butter on bread and cook over medium heat until both sides are browned.
2. Remove bread from pan and cut out hole.
3. Spray pan with nonstick spray or rub with oil or butter, however you like to make your eggs not stick.
4. Return bread to pan, sprinkle bacon into the hole (if using). Crack egg into the middle, once the egg is set carefully and quickly flip the toast. Allow to cook another minute until egg is cooked to your liking.