Have company coming over on short notice? In need of a dessert that’s easy to make but will still impress a crowd? Get suckered into a three pound container of strawberries and at a complete loss of what to do with it?
Then, my dear, this strawberry galette is perfect for you. Low maintenance, high flavor. I’ve made this a number of times, with a variety of fruits and berries, so don’t lock yourself in to strawberries if they’re not your thing. You can save loads of time by using a store-bought pie crust. Yeah, shortcuts are okay here. We’ve got company on the way.
I’ve kept the words short here, so you can get to baking STAT.
Well, what are you waiting for?
[ Printable Recipe ]
- 2 cups strawberries (or other fruit), sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice (a little zest, too, if you feel so inclined)
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or you can use cream)
- 1 recipe pie crust or store-bought pie dough (enough for one double crust pie)
- Raw sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F
1. Toss strawberries, lemon juice (and zest, if using), corn starch, and sugar together in a bowl.
2. Unroll crusts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. This one was a Trader Joe’s crust which was super ginormous so I just made one big one instead of two little ones…. could’ve halved and re-rolled it, but… yeah
3. Spoon berries into the middle of each crust (as if this counts as an additional step), leaving a two-inch border. You can arrange them fancy and overlapping if you like, but I’m not fancy.
4. Fold the sides over to form a border around the center of the galette. Get fancy if you like, but there’s really no need. Brush beaten egg or cream around the border (you can skip it, but it helps with browning). Sprinkle with raw sugar if desired. I desired.
5. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes until lightly browned and your house smells like delicious. Allow to cool on a wire rack until it’s safe for handling. Serve to awe-struck guests with freshly whipped cream.
Oh, you can totally make mini ones too. Yes, they’re adorable. In case you were wondering. No, I don’t have proof. I made some 4-inch ones awhile ago that were pretty cute, too. Just sayin.