I know what you are probably thinking as you read this…
“Really, Natalie? Lasagna inside of a grilled cheese? Is that really necessary?”
No, of course not.
But the best things never really are, are they?
This idea came to me one day at lunch. I had brought some leftover lasagna and garlic bread to work, being the frugal girl that I am, and upon eating them realized that if I put my lasagna on top of my garlic bread I could consume twice the food in half the time!
It turns out that together they are a force to be reckoned with. Better than either two could ever dream of being on their own.
I immediately texted Future Husband to let him know of my genius plans.
“LASAGNA GRILLED CHEESE WITH GARLIC BREAD CRUST! PREPARE YOUR ARTERIES!”
It’s a simple equation, really. Lasagna = Good. Grilled cheese = Good. Lasagna + Grilled Cheese = Double Good!
Am I right? I mean, I’m pretty sure the logic there is flawless…
FH, though initially confused by the idea, accepted its genius at his first bite. In fact, he loved it so much that he told me I should do a a whole post just about the bread, because the bread alone was THAT GOOD.
I won’t do that to you though, I’ve already drawn this out enough by first sharing the lasagna recipe with you separately, of course you can use whatever lasagna recipe you like.
So here you are… Lasagna grilled cheese… In all of its glory.
Delicious homey comfort food for those of us who don’t plan on donning bikinis anytime soon.
- 4 slices sturdy bread
- 2 slices leftover lasagna
- 2 slices mozzarella
- 2 slices provolone
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped or smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in a small pan. Add garlic and salt; continue cooking over low/medium-low until very fragrant and cloves are lightly-browned and the salt has dissolved. Keep an eye on the butter making sure not to burn either the butter or the garlic.
- Remove from heat and pour into heat-proof container, straining out the garlic cloves. Set aside until ready to use.
- Gently re-heat the lasagna in the microwave. It doesn't need to get super hot but you will definitely want to take the chill off.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot. Arrange your mise en place so you can work quickly.
- Brush the outsides of your bread slices with garlic butter and gently press into the parmesan cheese. You can butter the insides if you want to, I mean at this point our arteries won't really notice the difference.
- Place two pieces of bread with the insides-down (buttered-sides up) on the skillet to toast.
- Once toasted flip the bread and top 1 slice of each sandwich with mozzarella and lasagna then with provolone. Top with other slice of bread (buttered side still up) and tent with foil (or a lid) until cheese just begins to melt, being careful not to burn the bottom bread.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches to toast the second side and tent again with foil if the cheese still needs help melting. Continue cooking until the bottom is completely toasted.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving.
* This would also be great as an open-faced sandwich. Just place the cheese and lasagna on one piece of the bread and tent to melt the cheese. Enjoy with a fork and knife.
* I used skillet lasagna for this grilled cheese but I suspect regular lasagna would work just fine (and be a bit less messy).