I’ve been spending a lot of the last few months experimenting with all types of food delivery services – HelloFresh, Blue Apron, Home Chef and more. Meal kits have their pros – I love how convenient they are and how they can push me a little bit out of my comfort zone, but they have their cons too. For one thing, the costs can really add up and for another the produce isn’t always in the best shape by the time it gets to my door. Continue reading
Living in the desert definitely has its shortcomings – intense summers that make you want to die, the kind of sun that makes you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass, extreme lack of vegetation or color (besides brown, that is)… but it has a couple perks, too. Perks, you say? Yes, perks.
One of the main perks of living in the desert? Year-round grilling season. That’s right, year-round. While the rest of the country is huddled inside under layers of blankets, we desert-dwellers get to grill out. No snow to shovel, no ice to scrape, no gray skies – just sunshine and cool air. It’s almost perfect, really. If only we could hold onto that weather year-round.
What’s the best thing to grill? Anything, actually, but one of my favorites is always tacos. They’re just not the same if they aren’t cooked on the grill. Even the tortillas taste better after a minute on the grill. Something about the spicy steak, crunchy veggies, and sweet peppers all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla is just … perfect. This steak recipe is the perfect way to end the summer grilling season. Add some grilled veggies and fresh home-made tortillas, and you’ll be in taco heaven.
So, while some of you may have to do your grilling indoors soon – we’ll be outside livin’ it up. 🙂
Spice-Rubbed Flank Steak
[ Printable Recipe ]
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
1. Mix seasonings, lime juice, and oil together in a plastic bag or shallow dish. Add steak and let marinate at room temperature about an hour.
2. Remove steak from bag and grill over high heat 4 – 6 minutes per side. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
3. To serve, slice against the grain into strips. Serve with grilled and fresh veggies in warm tortillas.
[ Adapted from SE ]